Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Let the Festivities Commence!

I have had so many ideas for gatherings and evening parties over the years that I would love to host, and yet I have not once actually realized any of them.

Sad and shameful!

I am too social a person not to be able to occasionally throw a small shindig for those I care about. I feel like those moments in life sort of crystalize all the good and happy feelings of humanity into one clear powerful feeling of joy.

I should be more joyful...

Pinned Image

There are a few reasons:

1. I haven't really had a group of friends in Dallas that actually get along well together since college.
2. My previous apartment seemed too closed up and lacked enough seating for guests.

I am determined to fix this dilemma though, since at least #2 I am already in the process of fixing. The floorplan is more open so guests wouldn't feel so claustraphobic, and there is a rather large patio for overflow. I have a loveseat and now have room for a comfy side chair as well, and then I already have a bench I can pull out. My dining table wouldn't fit more than four so only small dinner parties would work, but I can do appetizers and drinks no problem.

Now I just have to execute my plans in that respect, and then be more aggressive with fixing the former problem. I am putting together a small group to go dancing next wednesday and maybe grab dinner, so I am using that as a little trial run lol to see how people get along. Hoping for great fun! Of course this would be a lot easier if my closest friends didn't live outside of Dallas lol... mais c'est la vie.


{Lindsey and I ready to go out to Uptown for a bday celebration}


But I made a new lovely friend this past weekend! I had known Lindsey for awhile, but we recently bonded over a shared love of classic british poetry followed by a night of swing dancing. She is lovely, and am excited to have more fun with her! It is so rare finding friends with similar tastes and passions...

PARTY IDEAS:

1. House Warming Party- Once I finish painting and get another chair for the living room, this is sooo on. Probably will serve appetizers, drinks, and possibly do some grilling (for a girl on a budget lol). Really just an excuse to get together, eat, gossip, and possibly play some games. Combine with #2?

2. Pool/Grilling Party- My patio is literally about 4 yards away from the pool, so this could be a super fun and relaxed get-together. I would likely limit it to maybe 6-8 people, but I think this could be a really great time! And I could do it relatively soon...


Pinned Image

{This is not my pool lol}



3. Murder Mystery Dinner Party- I have one 1920's themed game, and another 1950's themed game begging to be played. My setback was always figuring out how to fit 8 whole people at a dinner table though. Solution? Instead of having an actual dinner, have 1-2 appetizers and drinks. That way people can sit anywhere really and use the full expanse of my apartment.

4. Board Game Night- Love. I have several fun social games like Taboo, HP clue, Skipbo, ect. I could provide a couple of simple appetizers so no one passes out lol, and then a few drinks. This wouldn't be too much trouble I think... And I definitely know of 4-6 peeps who would enjoy this!

5. Harry Potter Party- I know this is so overdue lol, but I think everyone in my generation would have fun with this. Step One of the night, sort everyone into their respective houses with a little quiz haha! Followed by everyone doffing the appropriate house paraphenalia of course. Butter beer will be a must....

6. Dinner Party- Only 4 people all together, but we could have a classic dinner party and maybe extend it into a movie night too. I would actually have an excuse to cook lol.

Pinned Image

{How fun would this be! Maybe not in the summer in Texas but...}


7. Award Show Party- Of course this will have to wait for February when the Oscars and such begin, but I can have a group of 6 over for dinner, and move the table in front of the couch for a fun evening watching all the actors on the red carpet and dining together. Definitely going to have a little betting game going on though beforehand on the winners of the top awards like Best Actor/Actress and such though! So really, this is all about betting and dining lol. One problem, the new TV I purchased (from craigslist for $20 since my 7 year old one broke during the move and I am poor right now lol) only plays DVDs, not anything through cable because the outlet this is broken. Thank goodness this wouldn't be till 2013 anyways, whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment