Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland


Good film, all around. Not brilliant mind you, but good enough.

I knew he was only basing the film off of the novel and not remaking it, but I was surprised to find out the film is a compilaton of his own speculations to the end of Lewis Carrol's sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass, which of course I haven't even read. The plot was ok, but I think he was focused primarily on the visual presentation of Wonderland itself rather than the story line.

My question remains, how on earth did the White Queen end up with the kingdom in the first place when she is only the younger daughter? Seriously. How on earth did that mix up occur?

Funny side note though. Just recently I had decided on my own that my dream would be to have enough land for a hedge maze at the back of my property, a small orchard with possibly no more than 20 trees, and then of course a magnificent english garden. I had only just established this visually when all three elements were presented so nicely in this film: the english manor's hedge maze and gardens, and the White Queen's cherry trees!

So apparently I just have to marry some wealthy lord in england and I am all set!

Tim Burton side note; he is playing around with Disney on creating Sleeping Beauty from Malificent's point of view. Guess who the prospective actress is? Aneglina Jolie! I actually think she woul do an amazing job... We shall see though; this is only a very recent thought bubble.

2 comments:

  1. I may have to check this out. I've never been a big fan of Alice in Wonderland. I have nightmares and I know the weird stuff that goes on in my head and the fear that is completely real. So I really don't want to see a film about a girl who is scared(ish) in a dream that's really freaky.

    But, I think I'll give this one a try. If it's more about the visual representation I think I'll be good to go.

    Good luck with the garden thing :) I think that maze hedge is gonna give you hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea its definitely not scary at all. just tim burtoneque lol.

    as for the hedge maze, its a good thing i actually enjoy gardening, cause it will def be an upkeep thing. but it will be soo freaking worth it.

    ReplyDelete