Thursday, January 14, 2010

Shopgirl




I have seen this movie once before, but fell onto it yet again a few evenings ago. It is rare that I can enjoy a movie after its mysteries have already unfolded, but this is one of those especially enjoyable treats.


I am not sure if this was a novel or an even older film remade, but it seems so many of the newer successful movies find inspiration from a prior era. I do know this version is not the original.



This IS NOT a comedy lol. I don't know why they advertise it that way, but its not. It is rather a sincere evaluation of relationships, with Steve Martin narrating periodically. Because most the entire film is centered around the thoughts and moments of these three characters... its very thoughtful and quiet actually.

Its simply a great film, and if you are in a thoughful mood, check it out! I also, heart Claire Danes.

I give it 4 stars! I not only obviously enjoy waltching it more than once, but the characters are identifiable and well developed, the plot is unpredictable and insightful, and there is a remarkable thought provoking emotional response to this film as well.



1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's a fantastic movie. It's one of those movies that I don't watch very often because I get torn. I really really don't care for Schwartzman's character but I can't get over how much of a dick Martin is. lol

    It isn't a comedy, just like the Breakup. I thought it was a comedy, until I watched it and realized that it was a very serious drama with comedic parts. I want you to WANT to do the dishes! (I've said this before) B: Why in the hell would I WANT to do the dishes!!!!

    It comes up lol.

    ReplyDelete